Black pepper is an important ingredient in many cuisines from across the globe. Home cooking, as well as cooking in restaurants, both involves the use of black pepper. But if you don’t know anything about black pepper other than that it makes your food a little extra delicious, then here are a few important things that you need to keep in mind about this amazing spice-
- Red, green, white, and black peppercorns are not different varieties of the same spice. All of these rather come from the same plant. They just differ from one another with regard to ripeness and their methods of preparation. Unripe peppercorns are generally green or black in colour.
- Black pepper is not really a spice; it’s actually a fruit. These fruits are borne by a plant called piper nigrum. It’s a vine, native to India than flowers. So, pepper is more like cherries and peaches, as it too is a drupe.
- Whole peppercorns don’t lose their flavour as their outer shell seals the flavour inside them. Meaning the flavour stays there intact for as long as they are not crushed. Once they are crushed, and the inside of the peppercorns gets exposed to air, they begin to lose their pungent flavour. And that is why ground pepper is much less pungent than whole pepper. So, culinary experts recommend the use of freshly ground peppers in dishes.
- Pepper is considered the king of spices. But due to its abundance and availability, people seem to take it for granted. But effectively, pepper is one of the most traded spices that we have in the world. It is also one of the oldest too. Since earlier it was only grown in India, it used to be exorbitantly priced. But now, it is grown almost everywhere in the world, and hence, its cost has reduced considerably.
- Pepper was so valuable once upon a time that people used to use it as a currency. It happened during the middle Ages.
- Consuming pepper can be healthy. Pepper receives its pungent flavour because of a compound in it called piperine. According to scientists, peperine offers more health benefits than one can imagine. Starting from reducing inflammation to treating headaches, it can do a lot.
- Pepper can also aid digestion in human beings. It can help break down carbohydrates, proteins, and fats faster and better.
- Pepper is an excellent insect- repellent. Hence, if you are looking for a natural way to get rid of nasty ants, then turning to pepper would be the best bet.
If you are already impressed by the history and quality of pepper, then there is no reason why you shouldn’t look to purchase it for consumption and other users. You can easily buy black pepper online. Black pepper won’t just make your food delicious but will also keep you protected from digestive issues. By making a black pepper powder buy online, you won’t even have to take the pain of grinding peppercorns for storage.